Friday, May 9, 2014

Joseph Campbell

Reading Joseph Campbell tonight and he's blowing my mind, one line at a time.

"And the cherubims at the gate, who are they? At the Buddhist shrines you'll see one has his mouth open, the other has his mouth closed- fear and desire, a pair of opposites. If you're approaching a garden like that, and those two figures there are real to you and threaten you, if you have fear for your life, you are still outside the garden. But if you are no longer attached to your ego existence, but see (it) as a function of a larger, eternal totality, and you favor the larger against the smaller, then you won't be afraid of those two figures and you will go through. We're kept out of the Garden by our own fear and desire in relation to what we think to be the goods of our life." 

"I always tell my students, go where your body and soul want to go. When you have the feeling, then stay with it, and don't let anyone throw you off."

No comments:

Lover's Mask.

I wear the mask  of my lover's lover.  He gave it to me, offhandedly, without thought. I came to need it. Wearing it only,  at first,  w...