Saturday, May 10, 2014

Bloom.

Excerpts from Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth…

"Everything, a bird, a tree, even a simple stone, and certainly a human being, is ultimately unknowable. This is because it has unfathomable depth. 

When you don't cover up the world with words and labels, a sense of the miraculous returns to our life that was lost a long time ago when humanity, instead of using thought, became possessed by thought.

A depth returns to your life. Things regain their newness, their freshness. 

Words reduce reality to something the human mind can grasp, which isn't very much. Do you believe some combination of such basic sounds could ever explain who you are, or the ultimate purpose of the universe, or even what a tree or stone is in its depth?"

I love words. I've played with them since I was a child. Copied them out of books, made them up, put stories together with them. But I want to use them to open the world up, not to close it off and make it something that I'm grasping in my tight little fists. 

Considering the words we use and the beliefs that they formulate within our minds and bodies, immediately closing us off to the infinite possibilities and miracles that surround us every day through those faces in our lives that the Universe assumes as our friends, family, lovers, nature, etc… 

Blooming like that flower out there in Spring. Sometimes blooming is scary, sometimes it's painful. But it's always worth it. Join the bloom. 


2 comments:

elena dawn said...

Speaking of words... another fascinating thing about language is that not every language expresses the same emotions, experiences of the senses, or situations. I know many people who speak English fluently as their second language and numerous times it has been expressed to me, "English does not have a translation for that feeling/situation/experience/etc" The simple concept that not all languages are capable of expressing the same experiences is very telling on the topic of how limiting words actually are.

Erin Grove Kouvas said...

Yes, Elena, totally agree. So true and our language is part of what forms our reality.

Also, I love how we speak Sanskrit and the ancient languages because it is a language that is so complex and sacred and it feels like a deeper connection with the divine.

Lover's Mask.

I wear the mask  of my lover's lover.  He gave it to me, offhandedly, without thought. I came to need it. Wearing it only,  at first,  w...