Friday, April 5, 2013

Sunny Point Cafe, Asheville N.C.

Hello all!

I just wanted to give a quick shout out about this breakfast spot in Asheville, N.C because I think I want to marry it.

Breakfast has always been a very special meal for me (I love it) and, alas, in my hometown...I have been sorely lacking a place to go for many years now. Not that there aren't breakfast places, not that there aren't any good breakfast places, either... there just aren't MY kind of breakfast places. I've even considered opening one of my own but I know how much work a restaurant is since I grew up working in them and then married a restauranteur. 

What I'm talking about here are independent restaurants that offer organic eggs, homemade bread, fresh squeezed orange juice...ingredients like you would get on the farm. Being a child of the country and having both of my biological grandmothers come straight out of the hills of West Virginia (and proud of it, thank you) may have had something to do with this.

Yes, they cooked with fats...yes, I try to be healthier than that but a good organic homemade breakfast is definitely on my list of pleasures in life.

Sunny Point Cafe was worth the wait at the front door. An hour of waiting only because we wanted to sit inside and not outside on this bit chilly day, only to sit down to a speaker right above our table. I was not so happy with the rock and roll coming out of it at 11 am during my breakfast. It truly was only because we were seated right in front of it, if we had been seated further back it wouldn't have been an issue at all. I asked the waitress about it and she turned it down a bit for us. At this point, I was not sure if I would be coming back here in the future due to the wait and the hard rock at breakfast. After all, there are a lot of restaurants to check out in Asheville. 

When the waitress came back, I ordered the MGB (a mighty good breakfast) and John ordered the Mushroom scramble. Wow. The food was AMAZING. The eggs were perfection, the whites cooked all the way through instead of runny. The cheese grits were a bit spicy and delicious. The focaccia bread was just the right choice for dipping into my perfect eggs. My sausage patties....honestly, I was wishing my grandmother was alive just so that she could have a bite of them. She loved sausage patties and these were hands down, the best I've ever had. John's Mushroom Scramble had fried leeks on top that had the perfect amount of salt to add to his savory eggs, cheese and mushrooms. His home fries were fried to perfection, the centers not too hard like they can be when they're a bit undercooked. 
And to top it all off, they had fresh squeezed orange juice. 

When the guy who I'm assuming was the owner or the manager, or maybe just a caring waiter came up and asked how our breakfast was...I had a hard time containing myself. With all the seriousness in the world, I said, "amazing." Can't wait to go back. Thanks Sunny Point for a great start to my morning! 

(I didn't take any pictures, but if I go back while I'm here...I'll add on to this with pics).

No comments:

Lover's Mask.

I wear the mask  of my lover's lover.  He gave it to me, offhandedly, without thought. I came to need it. Wearing it only,  at first,  w...